SaintJoe H2O

This one is all about scale. By now, you are no stranger to writing your way through an understanding of scientific concepts. I think we have all agreed that this is a fantastic way to kick off a lesson. Tonight, we will conduct what I like to call a "windowpane" activity in order to examine, explore, study and write about a topic. We will be making observations observations and inferences, recording feelings, and asking probing questions. The image we will use is below (heavily scaled down):

The protocol we will follow tonight will use this very simple "windowpane" form also attached below in PDF format. Open this form in Notability in order to record your thinking. This will allow a wide range of feedback (text, handwriting, etc.) to happen on one screen. 

In the space below, please reflect on both the process of tonight's activity...  and the content of the lesson. In other words: How did this go? What about the way we conducted this protocol helped your understanding? Did you find this to be an effective way to uncover your thinking? What specifically did you learn from this? What was your background knowledge to begin? Did you come into tonight's session knowing a great deal about the size and scale of the world's oceans? If you did know some things coming in, can you pinpoint where you learned them? 

What sorts of observations seemed significant to you? Did you make any inferences that either you or your classmates thought were especially keen? What about questions? What sorts of this did this make you wonder? Are there real answers for these questions? How might you find these answers? Were your questions on the shallow... or the deep end? In other words, can you easily find the answers to them...  or might those answers require a significant amount of uncovering and/or research?

*Please feel free to share a screenshot or .pdf of your page if you'd like.

**Tonight's image owes many thanks to XKCD.

Tags: ocean, oceans, perspective, questioning, scale, thinking, writing

Views: 331

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The process of analyzing the picture on our own and then comparing our observations and feelings about it with one person, then another, and then a larger group was very effective in my opinion. It gave every person an opportunity, and in a way forced each of us, to share all of their own ideas about it and also get one-on-one feedback and new opinions and ideas from multiple people. This led to a wider variety of discussion and less of a feeling of intimidation. If we had gone straight into a group discussion some people would have felt uncomfortable about sharing some of their observations and it would have quickly become dominated by one or two central points instead of a lot of the smaller aspects of the picture. Based on my individual discussion with others I was able to expand my thinking to include the limits of technology which is something that I had not considered yet. There were other things that I heard through the discussion that got me thinking more about how little we know about the ocean and how much there really is to the ocean, yes we all know that water covers most of the surface of the earth but I had never thought about the sheer depth of the ocean and how different the depths are. This activity really was great because we all had something unique to add to the subject and it gave us the opportunity to all share our thoughts which helped expand my thinking.

I agree with you when you say that if we would have just jumped into a big group discussion then individuals might have been more intimidated. Sharing thoughts with a peer first helped us to get a little more comfortable with our own opinions and also consider their thoughts on the subject.
I agree with you that sharing our ideas with each other led to a variety of discussions and new opinion. It helped us understand more say if you had a question and someone in you group could answer it for you. I agree that it was a good I idea to split people up because if t had been the whole class the discussions wouldn't have been as productive.

I also agree with you. If we were to just have jumped in i would have been lost, i really am glad he did class this way.

I thought that the way we conducted the discussions that night were effective because we observed and then we made inferences and then discussed the observations with our fellow classmates. By using this method, we were able to break down our idea of the vastness of the ocean and dissect our thoughts and initial feelings we got from the photo. Being placed with a partner not of our choice was also effective because it got us out of our comfort zone. I personally like being placed with partners at random because then we talk about things pertaining directly to the lesson and we get a feel for the thought process of someone other than our "best friend". Coming into the lesson, I had no idea of how big the ocean is! And in comparison how small the lakes seem. Some of the most significant observations I made were how deep and lonely the trenches are (and how many there are and how LITTLE we really know). When I imagine a scuba diver, I get this mental image that the depths in which they dive are SO deep, when in actuality, compared to 12,000 m 500 m is not a lot. I also thought that the oil well that was drilled was interesting because the parallel line that was drilled came up dry. I am assuming there are methods to knowing where exactly the oil lies under miles of ocean water, however, Mother Earth does have a mind of her own and it could really be a shot in the dark. How long does it take to drill down to the oil? How much does it cost to drill that far and build the machines to do it? Also, how much did it cost to make the drill that came up dry? Furthermore it was intriguing to know that sperm whales dive deep into the dark depths of the sea and come up with mysterious sucker marks and researchers really don't know what the cause is. Are they working on a submarine that can go deeper? There is still a significant amount of research, time, money and resources to answer most of the questions we have about the ocean. But we can start at the Andros Islands. :)
Here are my notes from that day
Attachments:
The process of analyzing this picture and then writing down what you think was new to me. I had never used (at least not that I can remember) this type of format before. It actually made it a lot more simple in my opinion because it organized all of your thoughts and allowed you to separate it and not have it all be one giant mess. I thought this was effective especially when we compared our note with a partner and then in a group because if you forgot to put something down or you realized something that they had on their paper but you didn't you could put it on your paper. Also when we checked each others notes if you made a mistake like putting an observation in the inference you could change it. This picture showed me how big the ocean is. For some reason I probably wouldn't doubt the picture if it just showed up to 4000m. I knew that it was big but this picture showed me just how much of it we don't actually use. And how little we actually know of the ocean. One question I had from this picture is that I thought that the titanic was in the Marinas trench? This activity helped me understand a lot of stuff that is going on in the ocean. I thought that the template we used help me everything easier to understand and simpler. And I wouldn't mind using it again.
I agree with McCabe, I also thought it was a lot more effective when we compared out notes with a partner:)
I definitely agree with you on the whole simplicity to this methid. It's simple yet complex at the same time in the way that it forces us to really think out if the box and pay very close attention to seemingly minor details.
Sharing our thoughts with our peers first was more effective and productive in my eye than going on with the lesson with you. It made me more comfortable and confident with what I wrote down and with my understandings of it. When sharing with my partner(s) I noticed I made some silly mistakes and I could change it. I also thought that being pared with partners not of our choosing is way more productive plus we get to learn more about our classmates. I really liked the whole windowpane activity, it made my notes/thoughts really organized. And I liked how it was separated into observations, inferences, feelings and questions. When I first took a look at this diagram I was really curious and ill be honest, just a slight bit confused all because of the amount of information on this map. I'm more of a picture learner and I like to look at pictures to get a better understanding of things, this map was easy to understand once I took a good look at it. And the little comical comments on the map made me giggle. I didn't really know much about lake and ocean depths although I figured that the oceans are probably much deeper than the lakes are. One of my questions I had about this was, what is the Dead Sea? I researched it and found out that the Dead Sea is "a salt lake or inland sea in the Jordan valley. It's surface is 1,300 feet (400 m) below sea level." I really think learning using diagrams and organized windowpane notes are a very effective way of learning!
I agree that it was more productive than doing a lesson because it gave a chance for everyone to speak their mind in a small group where you can discuss what your thoughts were. I think that if we are going to do another activity like this again we should stick with the windowpane because it was really simple.

The format we used was new to me, and in my opinion limited my thinking because I only focused on one of the boxes as opposed to three or more of them. As a result I feel that I didn’t make very keen inferences. If we continued using this format, I would learn time management because I’d have to pace myself on how much time I take on each box. A mix of the organization of the windowpane and the jumbled mess of just writing down your every thought would be perfect. The group discussion let me think about things that my peers came up with but I didn’t even think about or consider. It also allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and actually talk to people. The picture we looked at actually showed me how big the ocean really is. Before seeing that picture I had thought that it was only a few hundred meters deep, easily reached by a submarine. Now I realize that its 12,000 meters. That’s 7,200 Marias all standing on each other’s heads. The picture showed me that though we have come very far in technology, we still have very far to go. What we discussed as a large group about how we only use science to make money and get rich instead of for the purpose of learning, it really opened up my eyes about how close minded our society has become.

RSS

WATER...

warm

tropical

water

flowing

ever

so slowly

...northward

About

Sean Nash created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity