SaintJoe H2O

Use the thread below as a gallery space for your Sci-Po and Visual Chapter Summary over Chapter 4, "The Rise of Corals," and Chapter 5, "The Heart of Lightness." Remember, stick to the protocols. There is power in protocols, for they often force our thinking toward a more creative level. This, of course, seems ironic before trying...  but I think you'll soon see what I mean by that.

As always, post a reflection of this challenge and comment both on how this helped you learn the content of this part of the book, as well as how the processes of the task contributed to the cause specifically. I look forward to the discussion in the space below:

Tags: Sci-Po, corals, enchantedbraid, reading, summary, visualliteracy, writing

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is my chapter 4.

My haiku deck for chapter 4 shows how the book starts out in Iowa and then tells the history of corals. How they had struggles and how they evolved. It was surprising how the first reefs started out as mounds and then over millions of years became what they are today. It was also really surprising that the great pyramids are older than the Great Barrier Reef! It was interesting that corals were able to survive through all the issues they have had such as rising waters.

Haiku deck:

For chapter 5 I did a sypo. My sypo talks about the tropics and the triangle of diversity. It talks about the analogy of a coral reef to a city. And how beautiful the reef is. It's a dreamers world. Full of colors and is like a completely different world.

A sun drenched paradise is where it starts
Where diversity takes its roots
And does its part

Away in the tropics
A triangle is formed
Where corals abound and so much more

Beneath the surface a myriad of creatures
Chaotic and complex
Follow their paths

They claim its a city
A city of sectors
A city of lives that depend on each other

In this place beauty abounds
A dream of a dreamer
All around

so slowly

Sean Nash created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

• Add Photos

Recent visitors:

from ScienceDaily:

Vital role of marine predators in supplying nutrients to coral reef ecology

It's long been known that sharks help nourish coral reefs, but exactly to what extent has never been scientifically mapped out -- until now.

'We're sleepwalking into a mass extinction' say scientists

Species that live in symbiosis with others, which often occur in the most delicately balanced and threatened marine ecosystems such as coral reefs, are the slowest to recover their diversity if damaged, according to a team of scientists.

Hunting squid slowed by rising carbon levels

Scientists have found that high carbon dioxide levels cause squid to bungle attacks on their prey. Investigators said that the oceans absorb more than one-quarter of all the excess carbon dioxide (CO2) released into the atmosphere by humans and this uptake of additional CO2 causes seawater to become more acidic.

Seaweeds shelter calcifying marine life from acidifying oceans

Seaweeds create a chemical microenvironment at their surface, providing refuge for calcifying organisms that are at risk from decreasing oceanic pH, shows new research.

Marine researchers say recent sea star wasting disease epidemic defies prediction

Beginning in 2013, a mysterious disease crippled sea star populations up and down the U.S. west coast. Over a matter of months, many sea star species died in record-breaking numbers, though the ochre sea star was among the hardest hit. Now, researchers have analyzed just how much the populations of this species have declined, but they have not yet determined what factors might be contributing to the epidemic.

© 2018   Created by Sean Nash.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service