SaintJoe H2O

I have known that I wanted to this program for a long time now. My brother did it back in 2003. I saw how much fun he was having learning the fish and then going out on the sail boats and seeing them in person. I saw what he brought back from the trip and it all sounded like so much fun i just had to try and go. So here I am! I took the class and went on the trip.

Day 1

I couldn't sleep, I had to be up at 4:30 in the morning so we could meet at the library and and be at the air port around 6:20 ish. This was a day of waiting which i learned to do very well on this trip. Especially when your in the Bahamans. We get to the air port and our plain takes off around 8:30 am. We land in Florida at 12:00 and from there we waited 30 minutes for a shuttle bus to come and pick us up. While we were waiting i noticed something. There was this bird. A pigeon, It was walking by large crowds of people. It was just walking by, i guess looking for food. A couple of other students and i would try to get as close to it as we could. My brother, Jake was just standing on the curb and if he was to take a step back he would step on it. 

The bus finally showed up and we raced to the hotel. When i say raced i mean it. They drive crazy down there. There were so many loops and turns. We finally made it safely to the hotel. We had the rooms booked at least two weeks in advance and they weren't really yet. We got there and Mr. and Mrs. Nash's room was ready but no one else's was. So we put all of our bags in there room and took off to go for a walk.


We were in Florida and of all places that we went to was K-Mart. It was kind of nice from my prospective. I work at K-Mart here in town and i got to see what another store was like. This one has cool cloths and it was busy. Their store had nicer things and it even looked nicer on the out side. But the customer service was slow and they didn't seem to be to happy to work there. I tried to use my discount and the lady there messed it up so i didn't even get that. 


We finally left that store and headed to a restaurant where we could grab something to eat...Finally! We went to the Ale House. It served lots of seafood and normal foods. I tried oysters and claims for the first time... I don’t like them. But I did like the fried squid. I ordered the jumblia thinking it would be like my dads. It was good but very hot. 


We later made it back to the hotel where our rooms were still not ready so we all changed into our swimsuits and took a swim in the pool and hot tub. It felt nice to finally be able to swim in a pool outside again. I got tried of sitting around so i went lizard hunting. I was able to ketch a one. I have done this before when I went to FL for Christmas one year. No one thought I could do it.


Our rooms were finally ready at 8:00 that night and after waiting 8 hours for our room to be ready it felt nice to take a shower and go to bed. We had a big day tomorrow and i had to be up before 9:00 to get ready to take the charter plain to the Bahamas. 


Day 2

The next morning was crazy. I woke up at 8:30 to get my bags reorganized and ready to go. I got a text from group me at 8:50 saying that the flight for 9:30 has been moved to 9:00 so get down stairs A.S.A.P. So i woke up my bedroom partner and helped her get her stuff ready and ran down stairs. We got down there 8:55 hoping to grab breakfast but that didn’t happen so an apple would have to do for the day. 


We took another shuttle bus to a smaller airport and ended up waiting 3 and half hours before we could even get on the plain. We were hungry and somewhere pretty crabby (me). When our pilot finally showed up we were ready to get out of there. We went through the airport and out on to the loading area. The pilot loaded our bags into the nose and wings of the 8-seated plain. I was very nervous I have been in a large plain before but never a small one. We took off a little shaking but we were fine. The plain was very loud and there was nothing to do. We looked out the window and could see only blue or sometime just the white of the clouds. About an hour later we started to go for a landing. The run way was very small and had some pot holes in it but we touched down as smooth as we could.


We showed up and had to go through customs. We looked around and all we saw were very dark color skin people with one or two white people. Were where in a completely different world. The people were very nice. They helped load our bags (went they wanted too... we were in Bahamian time now). We then took taxis to this little area on the beach called fort Forfar. It was a nice little place. Coconut trees everywhere, with a very nice view of the beach. They fed us sandwiches and fruit and what felt like the last of the "good water". 


We later went back out to go try out our snorkel gear. I just walked on the beach and in the water. i didn’t go swimming yet. My brother found a dead reef shark trapped on some rocks so i got to see my first shark in the ocean there. I also learned the hard way that rocks are slippery. I ended up slipping and my foot went right into a hole where my poor toe was cut. Its a good things that shark was dead.


Our group got it good. We showed up early enough to go to the "tourist shops" which was shacks that you walk to. It was like two blocks down the road. You would walk right in and just look around. It was a very small room with a window or two that would be open for a breeze to come in... As well as the Doctor flies. We were the only group that was able to go there that day. We went back to Fort Forfar, some of us sent to sleep and others went our and played basketball with some of the kids. It was fun to inter act with them. 


The next group finally made it to Fort Forfar and we got into taxis once again to head to the area where the sailboats were. We got to see there school and church on the way there. We had a screaming baby in the back seat with me so the ride down just seemed like it took forever. 


No seems.... The worse thing ever! Those are sand flies and you can't really see. They come out at night and early morning other then that they don’t bother you. Our boat had air conditioning and a net set up so they couldn't get into our boat but one of the other boats didn't have it that good. My brother was on a boat with no air conditioning so they had the windows and door open so they ended up being eaten alive by the no seems. They called it the Bahamama pocks.


Day 3

The next morning we all woke up ready to go. The only problem with that was the weather didn't agree. The wind was blowing at 40miles an hour and the captons new that if we set out to sail that day then they would have a lot of seasick students. So instead of sailing that day we waited until the next day but it wasn’t all bad. We got onto out dingy and went someplace close by. I was very nervous my first dive. I was ready for a shark to pop up or for something to hurt me. But the only thing that happened was a mouth for of nasty seawater.


I have never swum in the ocean before. I have only walked in it. I had no idea that the water would be so salty! It hurt my eyes and made my mouth dry. I don’t understand how fish can survive in it.


On our first dive that day we went out into the open 15-foot waters and jumped in. It was warmish water and very clear. I would easily look down from the boat and see fish and coral all around me. I saw large groups of fish. I say lots of sergeant major’s and pirate fish. The fish would swim by and not even care that you were so close. Some would even get real close just to see what the heck you were.


Later that day we also went up this bay and to another spot. This one was where we saw our first and only jellyfish. They were only upside down jellies but a jellyfish nonetheless. I jumped in the water first and as soon as I did I realized it was only 5 foot deep. I kicked up so much settlement from the bottom. I ended up being stung all over. My legs hurt and itched like crazy. I found an interesting bottle and some shells in that area though.


We later went back to the boats and Mrs.Nash and I made steer fry. It tasted amazing after a long day of swimming.


Day 4

Day 4 wasn’t very much fun. We ended up sailing for 14 hours. We got up at 10 and took off to the first place. The two boys were the ones who ad to set the sails and pull the anchors. They became true men in training the day they stepped on the boats.


As we were sailing the winds picked up and so did the waves. The boat just rocked all day long. Up and down, up and down. Two of the girls on out boat got sick and I almost did. They slept the whole time and I stayed on top with the captain and Mrs. Nash. She ended up reading all day and I tried to do some Sudoku then desisted to lay down in the sun. I ended up falling asleep and burning my face and chest. I ended up swelling up and getting a heat rash all over my body. I was miserable for the rest of the trip.


Before everyone fell asleep we set up two fishing lines. One at 25ft. and another at 100ft. We ended up caching two dolphin fish. They were so pretty when you first pull them out of the water. They had a yellow stomach and had some blue in various places.  We ended up eater them that night for supper. We cooked them with rice crisps. I never knew you could do that. This was the best tasting fish I have ever eaten!!!

Day 5

We are still making our way south. I fell asleep and the next thing I new the captain was yelling 10mins until snorkel time. We were all rushing around trying to get ready. Today we were going to jump off the big boat and go look at a sunken plain. We jumped in and it was COLD! We were in 25 foot water and I was scared to death that a big shark was going to be ready to eat me. Turns out the only thing there was a scary BARICODA. It just stared at us and watched us as we attempted to swim to the plain. The water wasn’t wavy but it was moving very fast.


I was able to see the plain and tried to take some pictures of it and that wasn’t going to happen very easily. We also saw a sea turtle and tried to swim it down. They can move much faster then us in water. By the time I took a picture and looked up I was about 30ft away from my group. I looked behind me and saw Jason even farther away. I tried to swim back to the group but gave up. I just couldn’t keep up.  


So the capton came to pick us up and then took us all to another place. I was a cute little place with coral and brightly colored fish all around. Some girls were there feeding crackers to the fish there and then they jumped in with them. It was like a fish frenzy. It swam around them and it tickled. One of the guys one their boat when under me and opened his bag and the crackers floated up and the fish started in, It was so much fun.


Later on I went looking around. I found some more pretty shells and some pretty interesting things. I saw a cleaning shrimp and a sea cucumber.


Day 6

The next day we start out sailing again. It felt like a long time but I fell asleep and next thing I know the captain was yelling 10mins until snorkel time. We jumped on the dingy with our gear and we head to a cave. We were trying to get there at low tide so that we could easily swim through a cave. We could look down and swim around but when the people started showing up it wasn’t as easy. I went until to look at something and came back up and hit my head. I also found a mask that someone lost. That was a fun dive. Some of us even circled the cave.


When we got back and had a joy bath so we could go to the store in style. We even had dingy butt! I was even able to buy some coca cola and juice. It was the best thing I have ever tasted!!!!


Day 7

The next days went by in a blur I remember sailing all the next day just so we could get back. We didn’t have any time to snorkel. I remember the captain and the boys waking up at 6 in the morning so we could set sail. Once we started going I fell back to sleep only to be awoken by being tossed out of bed by having my bed cushions sliding off because the boat was sailing on its side. When I say on its side I mean its side. I could keep the bed together so I gave but and went to go see what was happening. It was crazy scary. We were going super fast on our side trying to get back to the docks early. We wanted to be able to go to a shop that would be closed at 4pm. Our boat made it in time but the other 2 didn’t I got so many cools things like a wood carving of a head for my dad, a purse for my sister, some hair scrunches.

We got to see they cloths they make too. They take white cloth and with sea sponges cut out in the shapes of sea animals, they dip the sea sponges into a wax then spot the cloth. Once the wax is set they die the cloth in a verity of pretty colors. They then warm up the cloth so the wax will meet off. They then cut out and make cloths to sell.

Later that night went out to eat. Everyone took a shower in the men’s room. The woman’s was still broken. We all got dressed up and walked though town to a small little shake where we could eat. We ended up eating out on this dock. It was cute but cold. There was a mess up with out food and the drinks casted more then what they told us. I only got appetizers of lobster and conk but the way they passed out the food was wrong. They put all the conk orders on one plate and set it in the middle of my table and then the other half or the order at one end. Well the one end of people didn’t even order the conk so everyone who did order it didn’t even get any. They had to pay and everyone was made.

In the end we all got fed. Had a nice walk home to a nice warm bed. It had been a long boring day and know a nice long night of packing.



Day 8

The next day we had to have out bags packed, boats cleaned, card and tip for the captain ready to go. Some how we did it. Mrs. Nash volunteered to clean the head. Which no one wanted to do! It needed to be cleaned pretty badly. The three girls vacuumed and clean the inside of the boat, while the boys cleaned the deck, it went by fairly quickly.

Once the clean and the good buys were made we went back to Fort Forfar to wait… wait…. And wait some more until it was time to get on the plain and head home. Once we got on to the little plain I fell asleep and woke up as we were landing.

Then we went right to the next airport. We got home faster then we got there I feel. On the way home I sat next to a kid about my brother age. They had also just back from the Bahamas’s and they had a lot of fun too. He was telling of his stories and I told home mine. Then I started playing on my phone and so I got him to play with me and he kicked my but at most of the games.

We finally made it to the airport and I was ready to be home. I was tired, burnt, and ready for bed. I'm glad I went to the Bahamas it was a great experience for me. I was also finally able to go see another country even if it was an island.

If I could I would definitely go back someday. It was a great time but one thing you need if you go down there is patience. 

Views: 20


You need to be a member of SaintJoe H2O to add comments!

Join SaintJoe H2O







so slowly



Sean Nash created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Sean Nash's 5 discussions were featured
Feb 6, 2014
Rylee Hanlan posted a blog post

Island Time

Living on Island TimeThe first couple of days were spent waiting on this and on that and it truly felt like a year had gone by.  The first day was spent waking up early and driving to KCI airport where after about an hour or so of waiting we finally got on the plane that took us to Florida.  I sat in the very back of the plane with Zach and McCabe and I learned a valuable lesson from Zach when you get your free drinks on the airplane "always ask for the can".  The next morning we split into…See More
Oct 23, 2013
McCabe Davis posted a blog post

A New Experience

I woke up early and went to meet everyone at the library. Once we got our passports and tickets we all headed to the airport. We took a flight to Ft. Lauderdale.  Once there we all we out to eat and I had a Mahi-Mahi sandwich and tried some oyster, steamed clam, and calamari.  I think out of those 3 I will only have the calamari again.  Then we got our rooms and got the information for the plane trip to Andros.  We had the rest of the night to ourselves and I went swimming and hung out in some…See More
May 21, 2013
Bobbi thompson posted a blog post

Loving the Bahamas!

I have known that I wanted to this program for a long time now. My brother did it back in 2003. I saw how much fun he was having learning the fish and then going out on the sail boats and seeing them in person. I saw what he brought back from the trip and it all sounded like so much fun i just had to try and go. So here I am! I took the class and went on the trip.Day 1 I couldn't sleep, I had to be up at 4:30 in the morning so we could meet at the library and and be at the air port around 6:20…See More
May 10, 2013
Lindsay Doolan posted a blog post

Time of my life!

Plane ride to Andros     My group got here 2nd and right once we got to Forefar we ate lunch and then got in the water.  I was ready to get right in and I saw so many fish.  Shelby Mills and I went snorkeling together.  The first fish we saw was a Beaugregory Juvenile.   Then we saw a sea slug.  It had orange and blue stripes going down its back.  Then we also saw an adult Beaugregory.  The next fish was a cocoa Damselfish.  This fish has a blue color on top ends and a dark spot on the upper…See More
May 6, 2013
MacKinzie Lillian Conard posted a blog post

Aye, Mon! (a.k.a. My Bahamian Experience/Greatest Week of 2013)

Where do I even begin? Or better rephrased, how do I start telling the tale of the most intriguing adventure I've ever gone on in my short 17 years of life? The most obvious answer would be to start with Day 1, which is only logical, but once you've started reading my account, I think you'll understand why I didn't know where to begin. Day 1- Friday, March 21st, Saint Joseph to Ft. Lauderdale Boy, I definitely wished I was a morning person that day. We met at a parking lot at East Hill's mall…See More
May 6, 2013
Shelby Glenn posted a blog post

The Bahamian Experience

Everything about the Bahamas was pretty much perfect. The weather, the people, the lifestyle, the water, the air, the night sky, and the people. Did I say people twice? Heck yes I did because the people truly were some of the coolest people ever.They were some of the most down to earth and friendly people I have ever met. There was even a statue of a pair of hands shaking to really reinforce the fact that they were very friendly people.The first day that we spent on the island I played some…See More
Apr 30, 2013
Shelby Mills shared their discussion on Facebook
Apr 15, 2013
Shelby Mills posted a discussion

Under the Sun-2013

Saturday, March 23rd, 2013Yesterday we arrived at Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to begin our adventure miles from home. Around 12:30 PM, 7 of us loaded a small plane with a pilot named Eddie (I got to be co-pilot!) and we set flight over the ocean. The ocean is simply breathtaking and magnificent. Looking the 5,000 feet down to the shades of blue wasn't full of much to look at but I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I was looking for something to strike my eye, to jump out of the water...SOMETHING!…See More
Apr 15, 2013
Rylee Hanlan replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"Although this chapter wasn't my favorite that I've read so far, I did learn some new and interesting things.. Like what Christmas tree worms are! And just how important sea grass is to the ocean. The reflection strategy that I used for…"
Mar 18, 2013
Jaycen LeeAnn Wilson replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"I made my key note about how everything is part of one. It's kind of like the lion king to me. Everything has to do with something. Or it's some disney movie like that. I loved this chapter, I think it was my favorite so far. I love how he…"
Mar 18, 2013
MacKinzie Lillian Conard replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"This book never fails to amaze me! I have always thought of a coral reef as being its own "island" because it is so diverse and strong by itself. However, Davidson very quickly points out that coral reefs are a small strand in a large…"
Mar 18, 2013
Rylee Hanlan replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"I thought the same thing when I was reading, and came across the term " Christmas tree worms" I google imaged it and thought they were pretty neat as well!"
Mar 18, 2013
Shelby Mills replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"Yet again, the seas continue to amaze me in their ability to support each other even when they get no appreciation. One thing in particular that I thought was simply spectacular about this chapter were the Thalassia and their development of mature…"
Mar 18, 2013
Lindsay Doolan replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"Everything you write about in these discussion's are so creative and I really enjoy reading them. They are usually the first thing I read because it opens my mind about what I want to base mine off of. Great job! Also your Sci-poe last time was…"
Mar 17, 2013
Lindsay Doolan replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"Okay, mine might seem boring because it is only talking about one thing. The Thalassia Testudinum a sea grass, but i found this story or part of this chapter really interesting. I thought it was beautiful how the 'parent' "bathes the…"
Mar 17, 2013
McCabe Davis replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Rise of Corals & The Heart of Lightness
"I think Shelby did a great job on his sypo. It explains how important the tropics are and how much the sun affects the life of diversity there."
Mar 17, 2013
McCabe Davis replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
"Mangroves, sea grass, and coral reefs. I never would have thought that these things would be interconnected so deeply. A braid within a braid. This chapter talks about how these three components are all connected and what roles they play. The only…"
Mar 17, 2013
Madison Steilen replied to Sean Nash's discussion The Outer Strands
Mar 17, 2013
Megan Makena Zimbelman commented on Kelly Drinnen's photo

Coral Patchwork

"I truly enjoy the intricacy of this shot.   I love how when one looks closely many colors can be found within this single image.  One of my all time favorite quotes is "Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint you…"
Mar 17, 2013


  • Add Photos
  • View All

Recent visitors:

from ScienceDaily:

New hermit crab uses live coral as its home

A new hermit crab species can live in a walking coral's cavity in a reciprocal relationship, replacing the usual marine worm partner, according to a new study.

Big herbivorous dinosaurs ate crustaceans as a side dish

Some big plant-eating dinosaurs roaming present-day Utah some 75 million years ago were slurping up crustaceans on the side, a behavior that may have been tied to reproductive activities, says a new study.

Going diving in the tropics? Don't eat the reef fish!

Reducing tourist consumption of reef fish is critical for Palau's ocean sustainability, finds a new study that suggests other small island nations might also consider adopting this strategy.

Efforts to save sea turtles are a 'global conservation success story'

A new study of the world's seven sea turtle species provides evidence that their numbers are growing overall (unlike many endangered vertebrates), thanks to years of conservation efforts that have played a key role in sea turtle recovery -- even for small sea turtle populations.

Protected waters foster resurgence of West Coast rockfish

West Coast rockfish species in deep collapse only 20 years ago have multiplied rapidly in large marine protected areas off Southern California, likely seeding surrounding waters with enough offspring to offer promise of renewed fishing, a new study has found.

© 2017   Created by Sean Nash.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service