SaintJoe H2O

Plane ride to Andros

     My group got here 2nd and right once we got to Forefar we ate lunch and then got in the water.  I was ready to get right in and I saw so many fish.  Shelby Mills and I went snorkeling together.  The first fish we saw was a Beaugregory Juvenile.   Then we saw a sea slug.  It had orange and blue stripes going down its back.  Then we also saw an adult Beaugregory.  The next fish was a cocoa Damselfish.  This fish has a blue color on top ends and a dark spot on the upper base of the tail.  Then we happened to swim by a ladder that had been there for awhile and the first thing I saw was a sergeant major juvenile, it was probably the cutest thing ever.  These juvenile schoolmaster fish we saw were not even scared of us, we were able to get very close to them.  Then I saw then I saw another beaugregory and it came right up to my camera as if it were warning me of something.  We took that warning and left. 

     It was then time to go to the gift shop and while we were walking to the gift shop, everyone that we passed appeared to be so happy and thankful to be alive.  At the gift shop I bought a bag, basket and two bracelets.  It was a cool little shop.  When we got back to Forefar there were some little boys playing basketball and their faces lit up instantly when I asked if I could play.  So I played basketball with Randall, Kirkward, and Joshua.  My new friends were just the cutest  little kids I had ever seen.  That made my whole day and made the 3 hour wait at the airport worth it.  The other groups finally made it, we ate supper, headed to the  docks , boarded the boats and went night night!

Lots of waiting, fish, sun, basketball and POTHOLES!

Unable to set sail today

     Woke up to Harvey cooking something, most likely grits, but I went back to bed until breakfast was ready!  We found out we weren’t able to sail today because of high winds.  We were still able to snorkel however.  We found a starfish, scratch that!  Tons of starfish.  Then we saw a reef squirrelfish hiding in elkhorn coral.  Then they told us we were heading out to reef.  That was a very long boat ride on the dingy.  I saw tons of French grunts sergeant majors.  The picture shows two Princess Parrotfish, and a Doctorfish bluehead wrasse.  The yellowtail damselfish’s brilliant blue spots were so beautiful.  There were surgeonfish, squirrelfish, bluetang,  and peacock fish.  Went back for lunch and took a nap, a very good nap. 

     Second snorkel of the day was in the mangroves where I saw bluestripped grunts, copper variation schoolmaster longfin damselfish and a barracuda.  Some more French grunt and an upside down jellyfish.  It sent out toxins and stung us, I thought I was gonna die.  Went back to the boat, showered , called my mom, ate and then wrote in my journal.  NIGHT!

14 hour boat ride!

     We get to go to the Exuma Keys!  So we woke up and got everything ready for this long haul.  We’ve been on this boat for 30 minutes probably, can still see land a little bit.  Harvey and the captains are talking on the radio about where to go, our ride should put us in at midnight so not sure where we are going just yet.  We are here at sunset!  Schroud Key.  Harvey just called Zach an “admiral”, aka a-hole.  I got seasick 2 times then fell asleep. 

     McCabe caught a Mahi-Mahi it  was huge, got lots of pics!  Then took a 5 hour nap after lunch (chicken salad sandwich.  Not a lot to talk about today, didn’t do much but sail.  I cut my finger with a knife! OUCH! McCabe and Zach fillied the fish and we are eating fish tacos for supper. 

Dont know slept for dayzzz

     Last night I thought I was going to sleep good with the sound of the ocean little waves and the radio playing “make it easy” by Cheryl Crow, but NO!  I could not sleep, it was hot and then cold, then I was squished, then got rained on while trying to sleep on the deck.  Therefore I slept until noon, ate lunch and got ready for more snorkeling.  The site was a sunken plane where we saw green sea turtles, sergeant majors, rainbow parrotfish, bicolored damselfish, yellowtail, snapper and more.  The current was really strong so we couldn’t stay there long.  Harvey came and picked us up on the dingy. 

     Then we snorkeled by the Garden “something” and it was so beautiful.  The fish were not afraid it seemed like.  Many of the pictures I took were right next to the fish, no zoom or anything.  I saw one of my favorite fish, the sergeant major.  Rock Beauty and saw rock beauty juveniles, yellow tail snapper, blue chromis, queen trigger, towsend, queen angel, gray angelfish, bicolored damsel, fairy basslet, schoolmaster, redband parrotfish initial phase, Nassau grouper, grasby, common squirrelfish, yellowtail damselfish, longspine squirrelfish, trumpet fish, yellowtail parrot fish, rainbow parrotfish, etc.  It was so beautiful there!  We just ate macaroni and cheese, corn, and  pork chops or “poke chops” Harvey says it like that.  Supper was so good and now time for a game of Bull “Shark” (Bullshit) and popcorn.  We all also sat down and discussed the fish we saw today.

     Can’t wait to go out tomorrow, hopefully it will be warmer and sunnier.  Tomorrow is Ry’s b’day.  Zach keeps winking at me.  Dillon looks cute in baseball pants and when he winks at me.  Harvey says from far away a Rock Beauty looks like a “retarted ray”.  It’s not Rocket Scientre!!!  And I figured out it is spelled CAY, not KEY.

Sail to Thunderball Gratto

     Today we had a 3 hour sail to Thunderball Grotto.  Jay, Mrs. Nash, and I laid out most of the time, actually almost the whole time.  Maybe got a little too much sun, but  it was a beautiful day!  We arrived to the cave at low tide  and there were so many fish and people.  It was magical when we reached the middle and looked up.  I think that many of the people were just tourists and inexperienced snorkelers because they were stepping on the coral and putting their fins on the bottom.


     We saw yellowtail snapper, sergeant major, cleaner goby, queen angel, surgeon, trumpet fish, harlequin bass, needle fish, stoplight initial phase, Spanish hogfish, blue and yellow head wrasse, small mouth grunt, ceaser/bluestrip grunt, rockhind, schoolmaster, blue parrotfish, and lots of parrotfish.  We were able to stay in the ocean and just swim around the dingy before heading back to the boat to take a joy bath and shave my legs. 

     We needed mayonnaise so we swam to the Calypso Poet and traded them mahi mahi.  After we ate we went to the town and walked around. At this place where some men were filleting fish, there were 15 or 20 nurse sharks gathered there, and you could go down there a touch them!  There was a shop where I was able to get Gatorade, chips and honey nut bagel spread.  We then shopped at the Pink Pearl and I bought a change holder made from a real coconut and WATER that didn’t taste like metal!  We were planning on eating at the Yacht Club bar and grill but would’ve had to wait too long.  We had to be back before sunset because there were no lights on the dingy.  Once back to the boat, we ate, played cards, looked at chart of Exuma Cays and where we would go tomorrow.  And then we painted our nails before bed.

Just a sailin

     We are headed back up the Exuma Cays today.  Not sure where we will go, I will write it later.  We had French toast, pancakes and sausage for breakfast.  Harvey farted in front of me and said “well I figured since you were the only one up here and turning into a hillbilly I could fart in front of you.” 


     We only have one more day to snorkel, let’s make the best of it. 

We stopped at Rocky Dundas, it was so beautiful there.  The Island right next to that was Little Bell Island, it had the whitest sand and the bluest water.  We swam from the boat to the beach, I was a little nervous because I was the first in the water and was alone for what seemed like forever.  We snorkeled for a good 45 minutes and I saw lots of bluehead terminal and juvenile phase, French grunt, bluestripped grunt, queen parrotfish terminal and initial, white Nassau grouper, doctorfish, surgeon, tiger grouper with a cleaning goby, bluetang, flounder, common squirrelfish, blue chromes, yellow and southern rays, princess parrotfish juvenile stoplight in every phase, calsar grunt, one lonely yellowtail snapper, bar jack, spotfin butterfly fish, tobacco fish, lane snapper, palometa and others saw barracuda. 

     We were able to swim and spent atleast an hour exploring the beach for seashells and other things.  We were unable to bring anything back from the Cays, it is illegal.  We walked the length of the beach and back, it was amazing looking out into the ocean.  The water was so light blue and Ahh IDK how to explain it.

     A lot of swimming, snorkeling, and exploring today.  Oh and I did fit in another nap in there somehow.  Now time for supper, cards and night night.  Tomorrow is my birthday.

Headed back to Andros

     Today is my birthday!!!  March 29, 2013, 17 years old!  We didn’t do much today except sleep and sail back to Andros.  Once we got back to Andros we went to Androsia, a little gift shop where I spent $53 on a shirt and 5 scrunchies. We waited for the others to get back, Harvey was a very fast sailer. Once everyone got back we went out to eat. At Hanks I got the Lobster platter, it was amazing! We also ate conch fritters. It tasted like Heaven and the water didn’t taste like metal either! Once we were all done eating we went back to the boats and went to sleep. We have a long of traveling ahead of us tomorrow!

Going home!

March 30, 2013.

We are heading back home now! This is very sad saying goodbye to Harvey, but I am ready to see my mommy. I am looking back in my journal as I am writing this and everything after that last sentence is a blur. I know we drove through another forest fire, I fell asleep on the plane ride over to Fort. Lauderdale. We were the 2nd plane to leave, but the first to arrive. We hauled “ask” there. Then when we got to the other airport we waited for a while then got on our plane and went home! Right once I got home I had my mom take me to McDonald’s, I got a big fat juicy cheeseburger, I got Starbucks, and I got to see my dog. I had a wonderful time on this trip and would go again in a heartbeat. The thing I will keep with me is all the memories, but the thing I will never forget is walking down the street and everyone I saw was so happy. I got a hello 6 times just walking down the street. I am very thankful to have gone on this trip.

Views: 28


You need to be a member of SaintJoe H2O to add comments!

Join SaintJoe H2O







so slowly



Sean Nash created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity


  • Add Photos
  • View All

Recent visitors:

from ScienceDaily:

© 2018   Created by Sean Nash.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service